General Questions

Below are some of our frequently asked questions.


Click to go to the home page.

When are tax statements mailed?

Property tax statements are mailed by the end of January to the owner of record as listed on the tax roll. The tax roll is prepared and maintained by the County Assessor. See Important Dates

What if I do not receive a tax statement?

You may view and print your tax statement online. Under “Online Services” click on “Real Estate Property Tax Search and Online Payments

Per State Statute, failure to receive a property tax statement does not exempt the taxpayer from timely payment of taxes.

I received a tax statement, but my mortgage company is responsible for paying the taxes; what do I do?

Per State Statute, property tax statements are to be mailed to the owner of record as listed on the tax roll. You will need to contact your mortgage company to verify if your taxes are held in escrow and will be paid by your mortgage company.

I paid off my home; when will I receive my tax statement and deed?

Per State Statute, tax statements are mailed in January to the owner of record as listed on the tax roll. Please contact your mortgage company concerning the release of your deed.

How can I update my name or mailing address?

You may contact the Assessor’s Office directly at (719) 520-6600 or submit your request electronically by completing their online form

When are the current year taxes due?

Property taxes are collected one year in arrears.

Taxes may be paid in one payment or two half payments.

Full payments are due April 30. If the total amount due is $25.00 or less, only the full payment option is allowed.

First half payments are due the last day of February.

Second half payments are due June 17.

Partial payments are not allowed. Payments not received timely will accrue interest at the rate of 1% per month.

Do you have a grace period?

No, the payment dates are set by State Statutes.

Do you accept postmarks?

Yes. We accept US Postal Service postmarks dated on or before the due date for current year tax payments.

Postmarks are not accepted on tax lien redemptions.

How are my taxes calculated?

The tax amount is calculated by multiplying the assessed value of a property by the mill levy or tax rate.

The assessed value of all properties is determined by the Assessor.

The mill levies are set by the taxing authorities (school districts, cities, etc). The taxing authorities in your district are listed on the tax statement. Assessor’s Website

How can I find out the amount of taxes I paid last year?

Payment information is listed at the bottom of the “Real Estate Property Tax Search and Online Payments” screen. That screen is available on our website under “Online Services” > “Real Estate Property Tax Search and Online Payments“.

I’m on a fixed income; can I make a partial payment?

No. The Treasurer’s office is obligated to follow the guidelines set forth in the Colorado State Statutes.

Can I pay by debit or credit card?

Only current year taxes may be paid by credit or debit card until August 31. Payment of tax liens must be made by cash, cashier’s check or money order.

Current year real estate and mobile home taxes may be paid on our website by credit, debit and ACH (electronic check). There will be a fee charged and retained by the third party vendor for online payments. The fee for credit card payments is 2.39% of the tax amount, the debit card fee is $3.95, and the ACH fee is $0.95.

Taxes for all property types may be paid by credit or debit card in our office. There will be a fee charged and retained by the third party vendor of 2.5% of the payment amount for debit and credit transactions.

What is the status of the Senior Exemption program?

The Senior Exemption program is funded by the State of Colorado and will be available for the 2023 taxes payable in 2024. Please contact the Assessor’s Office for information regarding this program. Assessor’s Website

Besides the Senior Exemption program, are there any other programs available to assist senior citizens?

Yes, the State of Colorado Property Tax Deferral Program for Seniors is a low interest loan available to qualifying seniors. The deadline to apply is April 1 of each year. Please visit the Colorado Property Tax Deferral Website for additional information.

Is there a program for Disabled Veterans?

Yes, you may contact the Assessor’s office for further information. Assessor’s Website

Are there any tax liens on the property I purchased?

By contacting the Treasurer’s Office we can tell you if the real estate taxes are current or if there is a tax lien on your property for unpaid real estate taxes. For information regarding any other type of lien you will need to contact the Clerk & Recorder’s office. Clerk & Recorder’s Website

Can I get copies of my property tax records?

Payment history going back four years is available on our website. For older payment history please contact our office. There is a research fee of $15.00 an hour, and 25 cents a page for copies.

Is there a fee for requesting research and retrieval of public records under the “Colorado Open Records Act” (CORA)?

Yes. El Paso County’s complete policy regarding Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) requests is available on the El Paso County main web page: Fees for research performed by Treasurer’s Office Staff are set forth in C.R.S. 30-1-102.

If research is requested that is not an official CORA request, is there a charge?

Yes, the Treasurer may charge $15.00 per hour for research per C.R.S. 30-1-102. Standard copies are $0.25 per page.

Does the Treasurer’s Office maintain a list of excess funds from the sale of tax liens or from a Mortgage Foreclosure sale?

Per Colorado Revised Statute 39-11-115, excess funds from the sale of tax liens are credited to the county general fund.

As of September 1, 2012, any unclaimed overbids from a mortgage foreclosure sale are held by the Public Trustee’s Office.